Al-Ahliyya Amman University (AAU) aims to promote an inclusive learning, teaching, and working environment in which disabled students are not disadvantaged or treated unfavorably. Teaching, work environments, and practices are reviewed on a regular basis to ensure that disabled students do not experience barriers to full participation in the life of the university and to ensure that the skills and potential of all students are developed fully. AAU strives to provide an environment where students, staff, and visitors with disability are appropriately supported and encouraged.
ACCESS FOR PEOPLE WITH SPECIAL NEEDS
Scholarships for Students with Disabilities
Having a disability shouldn’t prevent students from pursuing higher education, although it does have challenges – this includes additional study or living costs, like travel expenses and special equipment. AAU offers specific scholarships or grants to disabled students.
The above-mentioned can be offered to help with general living and study expenses, or they could be tied to supporting you to achieve a particular goal, or pursue certain activities.
Eligibility to apply
Eligibility will depend on the purpose of the award, and you’ll normally have to meet the following criteria:
- you have a recognized disability that meets the universities definition
- you qualify for home fee status and live in Jordan
- you’ve accepted an offer for a qualifying full-time course at that university
- you meet the grade requirements and conditions that come with your offer
Household income may also be taken into account. Therefore, applicants must complete an application form where they explain why they’re deserving of the funding, or how it will benefit them in addition to providing any necessary evidence.
Successful applicants may receive the amount stated or an amount based on their specific needs.
For more information please contact:
- e-Mail: email@example.com
- Phone:00962 5 3500211 - Ext: 2043
ACCESS FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITY - MAP
Anyone with a disability should have equal access to all the facilities in AAU.
In Order to achieve that The university management provides a Preferred Parking facility, wheelchair access points, elevators, toilets for special needs, etc. in every building to ensure easy and safe access.
AAU is committed to making its website accessible to everyone including individuals with disabilities by ensuring that:
- the website is enabled with TTS Service.
- the labs are equipped with the latest new-generation computers with inbuilt features which are expandable to meet the needs of people with special needs. A few computers are already set up with special features such as a narrator's voice, magnifier, on-screen keyboard, closed captions, touch screens, TTS Reader, specialist keyboards and other peripherals etc..
- the website has been developed in accordance with W3C’s Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
We’re always looking forward to improving the accessibility of our website. If you face any trouble please use the feedback form below to share with us your thoughts.
ACADEMIC SUPPORT FOR STUDENTS WITH LEARNING DISABILITIES
With the support of dedicated centers: Hearing & Speech Center and Counseling & Special Education Center. AAU provides resources, technical expertise, and professional staff members to meet the learning and support needs of students with disabilities.
The academic department will make minimal adjustments to course content, delivery, and assessment methods without affecting the academic standards or basic requirements of the course.
- Learning access programs
- Assistive Technology (AT)
- Classroom Assistants/Notetakers
- Trained Students Groups to support students with learning disabilities
- Sign Language Interpreters
COUNSELING AND SPECIAL EDUCATION CENTER
The Counseling & Special Education Center was established at the beginning of 2015. It has adopted a non-profit service policy, as a leading initiative together with the other university working centers, to serve students in the different aspects of their university life from academic, psychological, or social perspectives.
Psychological Counseling is offered to students who face difficulties and challenges that affect their everyday life by:
- helping them adapt to the university environment
- tackling stress caused by studying and being away from home
- building and developing problem-solving strategies for them
- contributing to finding solutions for the academic problems they may encounter
- offering help in dealing with any other problems or challenges they may face
AAU strives to meet the requirements of students who have special accommodation needs. We have a range of accommodations to suit students with disabilities and health issues, including adapted rooms with facilities such as:
- wheelchair access
- remote door activation facility
- wet room style bathroom
- shower seat
- grab rails
- personal attendants if required
- adapted toilet
- low-level light switches
- low-level kitchen facilities
- sliding door access to the kitchen
- deaf alert alarms
- other special needs upon request